Saturday, January 23, 2010

REVIEW: Dakine Rolling Backpacks


Baggage fees. Long airport lines. Even longer walks to distant gates. Ever-growing carry-on items. Let's face it; flying definitely isn't as glamorous as it used to be. I don't know about you, but lately I'm apt to carry on more and check in less - especially since my bag is like a mobile office containing my laptop, phone, ipod, converters, candy bars and sleeping pills. Plus I'm a snob about what bag I lug around the airport.

Dakine to the rescue. One of my favorite bag companies since my days in the outdoor industry (surf, snow, bike and skate) Dakine (pronounced "dah-kine") has grown into my favorite luggage company for international travel. And a bag that encompasses their philosophy of durability and light weight is the Wheeled Campus (guys) and Wheeled Prom (girls) rolling backpacks (approx. $100). If you're over having to actually carry your carry-on and don't appreciate looking like a worker drone with a black rolling attache, this may the bag you need.

Designed ostensibly for lugging books across a school campus (judging by the name), this wonder of a carry-on has saved my back and shoulders on many a long trip. It is, simply, a book bag on wheels with a telescoping handle. But this isn't just any book bag, because Dakine doesn't "just do" anything. This bag has features that match $400 bags from Tumi or Briggs & Riley. Inside its ample 26-30 liters is a padded laptop sleeve and organizer pocket for phone, ipod and small items. Then there is the larger outside (insulated) pocket - perfect for keeping cold drinks cold or, in my case, laptop wires. There's a fleece-line sunglass pocket up top for easy access and - my favorite feature - stowable shoulder straps. It's simple to stash the straps when using the wheels, or pull them out when you need to shoulder the bag for a time.


Combined with the smooth rolling urethane wheels and easy deploying handle, this is all the bag I need for flights. More and more travelers have looked on in envy as I pull my bag through airports - with the bonus that I don't look like a backpacker on a Eurail pass nor a traveling salesman. And for the ladies, Dakine has designs and fabrics with a more feminine flair - this is one company that appeals to guys and girls alike. Plus it has a cool name.

Dakine: www.dakine.com

No comments: